What do I need to bring with me?

If you're heading abroad for your holidays, or just popping over for a shopping or business trip, driving on the Continent can be a great experience. But you need to make sure that you are familiar with local rules and regulations, and that you have everything you need.

In certain countries, it is a legal requirement to carry certain items with you. Failure to do so can result in large on-the-spot fines. Even if it isn't required by law, it is still recommended that you have them with you.


Make sure you have these documents with you!
Driving license Passport Car insurance certificate MOT certificate V5C registration document


You must have the following on or in your vehicle

GB sticker
(or Europlates)

Headlight deflectors

High visability vests
(do not keep in boot)

Warning triangle

NF breathalyser
(France only)

If you are driving in Spain, you will need one high visability vest for every person in the vehicle, and also two warning triangles (one to be placed in front of the vehicle as well as behind).


We recommend the following are kept in your vehicle
  Spare bulbs First aid kit Fire extinguisher  

The European Good Samaritan law requires motorists to stop and provide assistance if they encounter an accident or incident, as long as it is safe to do so. This may require a first aid kit or fire
extinguisher, which is why we recommend these are carried.